RAK5205 not able to connect with Flash Loader Demonstrator

• Hi,
    I am very new with LoRaWAN devices and all the programming that goes with them.
    I recently purchased a number of items including a RAK LoRaWAN Starter Kit and a RAK5205. They were ordered as AU915 frequency.

I connected the Raspberry Pi/RAK831 Gateway to The Things Network, this connected. I eventually managed to get the RAK5205 connected to The Things Network after finding the RAK5205_Application_Note_V1.2.
    I even connected the RAK5205 to Cayenne, all signals were being transmitted and I was very pleased.

Then I found out that the RAK831 Gateway and the RAK5205 were both setup as US915 frequency.
    I managed to change the global_conf.json file in the Raspberry Pi.

I then connected the RAK5205 to the UART Assistance Tool and was instantly getting feedback from the RAK5205 in the datalog screen.
    I entered at+band and got OKUS915
    I tried to change the band using at+band:AU915 but got ERROR-1

I then found the RAK5205_User_Manual_V1.2 which has a section 6.4 Uploading Firmware.
    I installed the Flash Loader Demonstrator, jumpered BOOT0 and VDD pins of J12, jumpered RX and RX1 pins of J25.

Initially it did not locate the RAK5205 board and I had to down power it and press the Reset a few times. Once it did find the RAK5205, I followed the instructions of the RAK5205_User_Manual_V1.2 section 6.4 Uploading Firmware, except I changed the file to 'RAK811_V2022_AU915.bin
    0_1546346181248_upload-83a83ac2-8cff-44ac-b2e8-a81fba42183e
    The flashing process completed successfully and I changed J12 and J25 pins back and reset the RAK5205.

I then connected it back to the UART Assistance Tool and noticed that there was no data being received.
    I followed the RAK5205_Application_Note_V1.2 (AT Commands) document to try and add the Device settings from The Things Network into the RAK5205, but every time I try to connect to TTN with at+join=otaa, I get recv:6,0,0.
    No data at all is being transmitted out of the RAK5205.

After much effort trying to get the RAK5205 to communicate I came across https://github.com/RAKWireless/RAK5205-WisTrio-LoRa, which indicates that there is different firmware 'RAK5205_HF_trackerboard.bin' which I should have possibly used.

I tried to connect onto the RAK5205 with the Flash Loader Demonstrator but have not been able to connect, even though I have the J12 and J25 pins set as required. I get the following error:
    0_1546347427127_upload-a46d7893-cf81-426b-a734-2aa9e62e1ca4

I can still connect to the RAK5205 using the UART Assistance Tool, just not with the Flash Loader Demonstrator.
    0_1546347695137_upload-6417467c-4184-4780-8a8e-1437bf21e73b

1-Is there any way of forcing the Flash Loader Demonstrator to connect to the RAK5205?

2-Is there any way to default the RAK5205 to allow a connection? I have tried the at+reset=0, at+reset=1 and at+reload commands but this has not helped me connect.

3-Is there other easy to use software that can be used to flash the RAK5205?

4-There appears to be a lot of different firmware, what is the correct firmware to use for the RAK5205 with AU915 frequency?

Any assistance in getting the RAK5205 re-flashed and working again is most appreciated.

• 1-Is there any way of forcing the Flash Loader Demonstrator to connect to the RAK5205?

Just place the boot jumper and reset the board (not necessary to power cycle the board so you can keep the serial connection opened on your terminal software).
    In this mode you will not get any welcome message from the node on your serial terminal. You are in boot mode.
    And to be sure, remove the boot jumper and reset the board, in that case you will see a welcome message.

2-Is there any way to default the RAK5205 to allow a connection? I have tried the at+reset=0, at+reset=1 and at+reload commands but this has not helped me connect.

in boot mode, the module will not answer to at commands. If you get answers (either OK or error answers), it means you are not in boot mode

3-Is there other easy to use software that can be used to flash the RAK5205?
    I am using linux and used stm32flash software.

4-There appears to be a lot of different firmware, what is the correct firmware to use for the RAK5205 with AU915 frequency?

Just use the one for RAK5205 as listed in the readme file:
    https://github.com/RAKWireless/RAK5205-WisTrio-LoRa/blob/master/README.md

• Hi, thanks for responding so promptly.

1-I can confirm that I do not get a welcome message on the Serial Terminal.

2-I can confirm that the module does not respond to any at commands when the J12 pins are shorted.

3-I am not a programmer, but I have installed Linux on a old PC and downloaded STM32Flash.tar.gz, but that is as far as my knowledge goes and I am having difficulty finding easy to follow instructions on how to unpack and install .tar.gz.
    Also hard to find easy to follow instructions on how to use STM32Flash in a Linux Terminal Window.

So after many hours I had given up with the Linux side of things and tried different combinations of Reset presses on the RAK5205 and clicking on the Flash Loader Demonstrator NEXT button.

Eventually I got success, by dropping the UART Timeout to 1 second and pressing the Reset and Flash Loader Demonstrator NEXT button at almost the same time. I got through and managed to download the RAK5205_HF_trackerboard.bin file.
    Just lucky I think.

0_1546420162741_upload-d951629f-beba-4bd5-a2ed-a8ae66d49abd

At this stage all looks good and I will go through and configure the RAK5205 and get it connected back onto TTN. If I have any issues, I'll be sure to come back and ask more questions. Thanks.

• @kastayou Hi,kastayou .Thanks for your answers,My job is to maintain firmware updates for the RAK5205 .It's a pleasure to communicate with you.

• @carbon6 Good that you have been able to upload the firmware.

It might be useful for the future or for others so regarding the use of stm32flash

You can download the stm32flash directory from this github repo:
    https://github.com/Ebiroll/RAK811_BreakBoard

There is also a windows version of the stm32flash tool in the stm32flash directory.

You can also find explanation about how to use this tool in the github readme.

Looks like your connection to RAK Support Center was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.