RAK811-N can't join GW

• I just checked the config from scratch (I did a at+reload to reset the RAK811):
    0_1525726442914_Bildschirmfoto von 2018-05-07 22-50-21.png

• Oh, I just saw it now: your frequency is rather strange... channel 0 would be 868.100 MHz. Usualy, I see joins on Channel 1 (868.300 MHz), but that should be no problem. What gateway do you operate? Is it a singele channel or a multi channel?

• here it is, same configuration as before.
    yes it take 3/5 secondes before i see that on TTN page :
    0_1525726214475_TTN GWtraffic 4.png

what i suspect is a problem with my gateway !
    it is a simple LoraGO port : https://sandboxelectronics.com/?product=lorago-dock-single-channel-lorawan-gateway

and i'm sort sure if it fully compatible !? can't find usefull information
    do you have an idea about this gateway ?

i will do a test with at+reload ..

• Yes, it seams your GW and Node are apart far enough. Maybe try to set your gateway to channel 1 (868.300MHz) and only use the commands I used to configure the RAK811? Sorry, I got no experience with single channel GWs

• Ah, and it might be a good idea to set the channel mask if you only got a single channel GW:
    at+set_config=mask:0,0001 for channel 0 or
    at+set_config=mask:0,0002 for channel 1

But as I said, I got no experience with singel channel GWs... maybe I should order one, just for education :tongue:

• at+reload : nothing better

what is the command to set "channel1, 868.300MHz" ?
    i try the mask at+set_config=mask:0,0002
    but i receive ERROR-1

.. but in fact... wich channel is available on this GW !?...
    need to have a look in the arduino code !

i ordered this single channel GW just for my proof of concept prototype. i wish to rder a better one, but later !
    which one do you suggest ? one with a RPI3 + ??... but there a lot off possibility and i'm not sure which one to choose

• I love! the RAK831, they got a very good performance. But the set Antenna is not too good. If you got some experience, I reccomend to build a groundplane or coco antenna. Else look for a good 868MHz antenna you can get. I got one fibre glass 868MHz from RAK, but I measured it to have a center frequency of 913MHz...

• If you want, I can join with your settings to see if on TTN side, everything is ok.

• hello,

is that possible to create a second temporary user in TTN account ?
    there is not too much configuration in TTN account, so i suppose that all right.

i have more doubt about the LoraGO GW configuration !

what is the command to set "channel0, 868.100MHz" ?
    i try the mask at+set_config=mask:0,0001
    but i receive ERROR-1 ==> so what it the right mask to set up channel 0 please ?
    868.100 is the specified frequency in the arduino firmware, i set up before compiling and flash my GW.

thanks
    Phil

• Sorry, it's at+set_config=ch_mask:0,0001

• not better :(

i see the "join accept" :
    0_1525785637562_TTN GWtraffic 5.png

but even the ERROR-6 just after the at+send command (ther is 20 seconds between the join and the send command, which is enough to see the join accept in the TTN page) !

do you use a RAK811 or a RAK811-N (as me) ?

thanks

• I use the RAK811, so I don't need an additional microcontroller

• Do you have any other gateway in your region where you can go to and try to join your 811? Once joined, it stays joined.

• no nearest GW is about 30km !

well i plan to use RAK811 too withtout second CPU.. can you point me to a good tutorial to set up the right tool chain please ?

well i will have a look to the arduino GW firmware .. but not so confident
    some users report that the RAK811-N fw is bugged .. some others say it's working ..

if you have any idea please don't hesitate !

• woaa !.. i just modify the setting order, set the keys juste before the join command and now i see that :
    0_1525790931333_TTN appdata3.png

but
    1/ where are my data ? ( at+send=1,1,010101 ) ?
    2/ i got even ERROR-6 message !
    3/ sometime between several send, i receive at+recv=3,0,0 :o)
    then a lot of ERROR-6 !!

0_1525791098540_RAK811-N terminal.png

• here it is some data :))))

0_1525791208143_TTN appdata4.png

but a lot of ERROR-6 between !

i send too fast ? (20 seconds)

• Hm, these MAC BUSY errors are really strange.
    I don't think you are sending too fast, as I sometimes send 5 messages in 2 seconds (after hard reboot, I send the device config of the irrigation sensors which is no problem at all). So i think RAK811-N are buggy somehow...
    As for developement, I'm afraid that the -N version might be the wrong choice. As you see on the following picture, there is no internal programming support:
    Taken form the Aliexpress RAK811-N page I found this on Aliexpress.

As for the toolchain, I use GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain, at the moment without any IDE using Makefiles under Ubuntu. I simulate using qemu and I debug/programm the devices with a fake J-Link using OpenOCD.
    But I think I'll give GNU MCU Eclipse a try soon. But in the end, you know, I don't like this bloatware IDEs too much. What OS are you on?

I try to provide a cleaned up template project for the RAK811 soon via github. To be honest, it's a big uncommented nearly -everything-in-one-file-mess at the moment, especially the low power states need some love.

• i agree, RAK811-N is not the good choice for the prototype, but it is what i have in my hands right now to start my tests !

well the link is realy unstable, i can't exchange data anymore !
    if i had not a screen copy, i won't believe that i already receive one time 3,0,0 !

i'm working under Windows 99% of time

i don't understand the paramters of the rx2 command :
    at+set_config=rx2...
    what is the datarate ? the datasheet say "see regions define", but in the table §5, i don't find it !??

• Hm, I don't know which §5 you are referring to. The RX2 is defined in Section 2.2.7 in the LoRaWAN 1.1 Regional Parameters, at least for the EU868. It defaults to 869.525MHz/DR0. BUT: In EU868, the Network/Gateway may set another channel/DR for RX2 in the Join Accept message. And for your case, you can't use RX2 as you got a single channel gw.

Regards, Edi

• at+set_config=rx2 page 12 of the RAK811-N datasheet
    (all RAK811-N documents are just removed from the rakwireless site !)

well better is to order a reliable gateway !
    so happy with RPI3 + RAK831 ?
    i hesitate with the IC880A

thanks for your help, best regards

Looks like your connection to RAK Support Center was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.