RAK811 Wiskey Unresponsive after otaa join TTN network

• No matter what i do i cannot seem to get the lora wiskey node i recently bought to join TTN network. It is a 811 (not 811-n) and i upgraded the firmware with the Demonstrator GUI to 2.0.2.2. I am in europe so i have it set to 868.

Here is some of the code i see over the terminal so you can see what i try to get it working.

I hope you can help me connect to the things network.

at+version
    OK2.0.2.2
    at+mode=0
    OK
    at+get_config=dev_eui
    OK35xxxxxxxxxxxx16 i HIDE all sensitive codes in this file
    at+set_config=app_eui:70xxxxxxxxxxxxF8&app_key:27xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx63 i HIDE all sensitive codes in this file
    OK
    at+join=otaa
    OK
    at+get_config=dev_eui HERE it becomes unresponsive which i show by issuing another command, but no response until i reset the device
    at+get_config=dev_eui
    at+get_config=dev_eui
    Welcome to RAK811
    at+get_config=dev_eui
    OK35xxxxxxxxxxxx16 i HIDE all sensitive codes in this file
    at+get_config=app_eui
    OK70xxxxxxxxxxxxF8 i HIDE all sensitive codes in this file
    at+get_config=app_key
    OK27xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx63 i HIDE all sensitive codes in this file
    at+get_config
    ERROR-1
    at+get_config=
    ERROR-1
    at+band
    OKEU868
    at+rf_config
    OK868100000,12,0,1,8,20
    at+rf_config=868100000,9,0,1,8,14
    OK
    at+join=otaa
    OK
    at+version HERE it becomes unresponsive which i show by issuing another command, but no response until i reset the device
    at+version
    at+version
    Welcome to RAK811
    at+mode
    OK0
    at+get_config=tx_power
    OK0
    at+set_config=tx_power:20
    OK
    at+get_config=tx_power
    OK20
    at+get_config=adr
    OKon
    at+get_config=dr
    OK0
    at+get_config=rx2
    OK0,869525000
    at+join=otaa
    OK
    at+version HERE it becomes unresponsive which i show by issuing another command, but no response until i reset the device
    at+version
    at+version
    Welcome to RAK811
    at+set_config=rx2:3,868000000
    OK
    at+join=otaa
    OK
    at+version
    at+version
    at+version

• administrators

Hi, After you send the at + join = otaa command, do not always send any commands to the module. Until the module automatically returns at + recv =, you can judge whether the device is added to the LoRaWAN network by the number returned.

• As it turns out, the rak811 became unresponsive since it was out of range and probably kept trying to join over otaa. I have 4 other nodes (adafruit lora feather, sodaq explorer, etc) and all of them work at the location i tested the rak811. So i assumed that the rak811 would work too. However as it turns out, the rak811 comes with an antenna that seems mismatched for the frequency. After ordering a new antenna i can connect to 3 gateways all located about 5km from my home.
    So that is something i am curious about, is the supplied antenna specifically for 868 or is it intended for both 868 and 915? It seems that way.

That brings me to a new question. I also got my hands on an official The Things Network Gateway, which is located about 6 meters from my rak811, otaa works pretty much instantly right now. However when i try to send a CONVFIRMED message like so:

at+send=1,10,53746576656e
    OK
    at+recv=6,0,0

it takes several minutes between OK and at+recv=6,0,0. The message doesn't seem to get confirmed by the gateway, or the rak811 does not for some reason seem to receive the messages, in the TTN console i can see that my gateway is trying to send messages. Could this mean there is a problem with the config of my rak811? I used the default settings, but i did change the band to EU, other than that i did not touch spreading factors and channels and such. I would appreciate some input on this! I have the RAK811 Lora AT Command
    User Guide V1.4
    document and it talks about a lot of different configs for data rates and frequencies and adaptive rates, channels etc etc, but it doesn't become very clear for me what i need to set up and what i don't.

Also, one final question, i seem to own a board that is newer than the boards on the documentation, this board has additional jumpers that the documentation doesn't describe, 5_3R and 5_3T. I'd be interested to know what these are for, i have some guess as they are to pull up or down the rx and tx but i am not 100% sure and i don't want to mess up my board.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

• Hi Steven,

About the 5_3R and 5_3T pins. They are the in/outputs of a 5V->3V level shifter, that is connected to TX/RX (pin 0/1 and the TX/RX jumpers)

they are next to an extra set of TXD and RXD jumpers.

TXD/RXD is connected directly to the RAK811 UART, which is not 5V safe.

When you want to input/output 5V on pin 0&1, connect the jumpers across 5_3R<->TXD and 5_3T<-> RXD.

If you do not want to use pin 0/1 (i.e. still being able to use the arduino serial monitor) you can use a software serial to communicate to other pins, and connect these to TX/RX yourself:

0_1515600765624_IMG_20180110_171052.jpg

Edit: the other set of jumpers across CRX/CTX<-->TXD/RXD, is to connect the RAK811 serial-usb unit.

• Hey @laef thanks for your reply,

I think I sat down to make this thing work with an Arduino for about 6 times now, and every time i have failed, wasting hours, due to poor documentation.

I figured it was a level shifter of some kind but i couldn't find documentation it it anywhere.

• Ive tried to use the example code but even the example code doesn't work for my device
    • Ive made two attempts to write some custom code,
    • one using the RAK library,
    • and one where I wrote a custom library

But i cannot seem to be able to get the rak811 shield working with an arduino uno.
    This might be due to me setting the jumpers wrong, but when my arduino sends the command to the RAK811 it seems like all the RAK811 sends back is ERROR, or the arduino sends the next command even before the RAK811 has even answered. Even with the RAKwireless example code.

As for the jumper settings, i made a small illustration about what i THINK is correct, i would love to have some feedback on this. Thanks.

Assumptions?

• Yes, that should be all-right.

I had some problems with arduino/rak811 as well, i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the serial connection from/to arduino is shared with the rak811.

In my experience, it is more stable to talk to the rak811 through a virtual serial port, and when stacking, bend out the pins.

Like this:

0_1516025757576_rak811.png

Looks like your connection to RAK Support Center was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.